Friday 18 March 2011

Blossom’s First Birthday

I thought that as I’m coming up to my first birthday, or should I say Blossom Cakes and Bakes first birthday (I’m actually a wee bit older!), that it would be a good point to review my first year. Have I met my original objectives? Am I in profit? Am I still enjoying it? ....
My original aim  when I started was to set up a business that allows me to earn money flexibly around childcare commitments. As many parents will know this is not an inconsiderable challenge but I think I have achieved this, albeit with a small profit.
Have I enjoyed the work I’ve been doing? Yes I have. It’s nice to do something creative with your hands rather than sit at a computer all day, drive miles to a client or sit in a stuffy meeting room.
And so to the future. The main challenge is to develop the business into something that pays a bit more than the minimum wage! Once my youngest is in pre-school, I’ll have a bit more time to focus on the business (or is that wishful thinking?)... I’m thinking about a monthly cake club supplying  local businesses, cake decorating workshops and gluten-free cakes amongst other things.
Would I recommend this career choice to anyone else? Yes I think I would, but not in Hitchin – I don’t want any more competition!

No comments:

Post a Comment